Newly Born Infants Visa
Regardless of age, anyone traveling to and from the U.S must have their very own United States Passport. This means that even newborn babies are not exempted from this rule. However, the process of passport application for a newborn is the same for minors i.e. children under the age of 16. The application for this passport must be submitted by the parent or legal guardian of the baby. The passport for newborns and minors will last for 5 years after issuance. The following are the steps to getting a passport for your baby:
- STEP 1: Complete Form DS-11
Also called the U.S Passport Application form. It includes some personal information like the child’s name, social security number, the parent’s name, date of birth, place of birth, etc. The DS-11 must be filled and submitted by the parent but the child must be present when applying. The form will also state some other documents to bring along or attach.
- STEP 2: Provide evidence of U.S. Citizenship
Anything that points to you being a United States citizen, your birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, naturalization certificate, etc. If you have non-immigrant status, the hospital officials will put you through how to go about getting through this step.
- STEP 3: Give evidence of relationship with the child
After giving the evidence that you are a bona fide citizen, you still have to provide evidence supporting the claim that the child is yours. Of course, the birth certificate of the child which features your name will be enough.
- STEP 4: Identification Documents for Parents
The parents of the child will also have to present identification documents. Documents like your driver’s license, naturalization or citizenship certificates, military or government IDs will suffice. You must submit copies of this proof of identity as specified. In the case of only one parent, the present parent must come along to the Acceptance office with supporting documents of the reason why the other parent is absent. In the case of adoption, the adopter must provide evidence of the original parent handing over the child.
- STEP 5: Provide Passport Photos and Pay Fees
There are certain criteria for the passport photos:
- The passport photograph to be submitted must be colored, identical, and be 2 x 2 inches in size.
- The photo must have the baby’s full face captured and posture must be upright; the best way to achieve this is to lie the baby down face up with a white background and snap.
- The photo must be recently taken and be closely similar to the baby’s current looks.
- The processing of a child’s passport will take quite some time, usually 4 to 6 weeks.