United Arab Emirates, Dubai

Spouse Visa

Copy of residency permit: You will need to provide a copy of your partner’s residency permit if they are not citizen of EU.

As Germany attracts a lot of foreigners, there is a desire for residents of Germany to want to bring their spouse or family over. Both citizens of the EU and non-citizens are allowed to bring their spouse into the country.

If you’re the spouse of someone residing and working in Germany and you wish to join him/her then:

  • You must be over the age of 18
  • You should have a proof of basic knowledge of the German language
  • You should be able to provide the original marriage certificate
  • You should have a copy of your partner’s residency permit

 However, there is no age or language requirement if your spouse is;

  • A holder of the EU Blue card

  • Self-employed in the country

  • A highly qualified status holder in the country

  • A researcher in Germany

If you are considering joining your spouse living and working in Germany then you will need to apply for a married or spousal visa, schedule an appointment for an interview and be sure to attend it, pay the visa application fee and submit all required documents and await a response on whether you have been granted a visa or not. You however do not need a visa if you belong to the following categories. They are:

  • You own a valid Schengen or EU passport
  • You have an EU or Schengen residence permit
  • You own a passport of any country that has a visa-free agreement with members of the Schengen states. This implies that citizens of your country are exempt from applying for a visa when travelling to Germany.
  • You already own a valid Schengen visa

If you do not belong to any of the categories mentioned above, then you will need to apply for a spousal visa before you can join your partner in Germany.

The following are categories of people that need to apply for a visa:

  • Passport holders of a country that do not have a visa-free agreement with members of the Schengen states.
  • Passport holders of country that has a visa-free agreement but have been previously denied a visa-free entry into Germany.



It is important to note that while this article will provide information on the basic required document, the Embassy or Consulate reserves the right to ask you to provide any additional document during the application process. Individual that wish to apply for a spouse visa will need the following documents during the process of visa application:

  • Visa application form: The application form must be duly filled and signed by the individual applying. You are required to submit two copies of the application form. Every information registered must be accurate.

  • Valid passport: You must own a passport that is valid and meet with all the German passport requirements such as the stipulated validity period and the number of blank spaces your passport should have.

  • Passport sized biometric photo: You will need to provide recent passport photos that meets the Germany visa photo requirements.

  • Passport photocopies: The photocopies of your passport showing the data pages should be made available.

  • Previous Visa photocopies: You are only required to provide photocopies of any previously issued Schengen visa if you have been granted a Schengen visa in the past.

  • Visa travel insurance: Proof of a valid insurance plan recognized in all Schengen states should be provided.

  • Round-trip itinerary: A record of the dates and flight numbers of all your flights will be submitted.

  • Proof of funds: Through these documents, you can prove that all your cost of living and other expenses can be provided for. You can show this by presenting a detailed bank statement or a letter stating that you will be sponsored throughout your stay. This letter should include the details of your sponsor.

  • Proof of accommodation: These documents will show that you have a place to stay in Germany. It could be a letter of invitation from your partner.

  • A copy of your partner’s passport: Provision of your partner’s passport is necessary when applying for a married visa. This is only required if your spouse is an EU citizen.

  • A proof of your relationship with the host: This means that you are obligated to provide your certificate of marriage to your spouse residing in Germany.

We provide top information services

Student Visa

Apply to Student Visa

Work Visa

Apply to Work Visa

Tourist Visa

Apply to Tourist Visa

Visit Visa

Apply to Visit Visa

Spouse Visa

Apply to Spouse Visa

Infants Visa

Apply to Newly Born Infants Visa